The concept of Metaverse is derived from the fact that Facebook's name change to Meta Inc. Mark Zuckerberg said that the future of Meta is no longer in the social network but rather the construction of metaverse – an unlimited virtual reality space or also known as the improvement of the Internet.
What is metaverse? Why is it so attractive? Not only Facebook's CEO but also Changpeng Zhao (CZ), the CEO of Binance also repeatedly mentioned on twitter. Let's learn about metaverse and its potential with RADA Network.
1. Metaverse supermymical - unlimited connection
The term "metaverse" is a combination of the real world and the digital universe. It is used primarily to refer to an expected future of the Internet commonly known as Web 3.0. Accompanying this development of the Internet is the rise of online 3D environmental technology and is expected in the future to integrate to provide users with access to virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) experiences.
To get rid of the metaverse ambiguity, we can think more simply that metaverse is not referring to a technology at all but rather a term that refers to a future digital world where people can interact with each other through VR & AR technology.
Metaverse - unlimited connection
Metaverse's vision is where users can create, buy and sell goods. And, in the more ideal vision of metaverse, it can be compatible, allowing you to take virtual items like clothing or cars from platform A to platform B, creating a close link between platforms. Just like in the real world, you can buy a shirt from the mall and then wear it to the cinema.
Currently, some aspects of the metaverse have been integrated into existing Internet-enabled video games such as Second Life, Minecraft and Fortnite, Roblox. These games offer social and immersive experiences that have an infinite virtual world in which players from all over the world can participate at the same time. Not only using support tools like VR &AR glasses but metaverse also offer more experiences on both phones and computers.
Metaverse into the game world
Metaverse isn't just limited to gaming, many social media and tech companies like Meta Platforms (formerly Facebook) and Microsoft are investing in Social VR with the goal of creating platforms where people can connect socially or work remotely through platforms like Microsoft Teams.
2. What you need to know more about foundations of Metaverse
2.1 Virtual World
• Virtual World is a simulated environment that can be accessed by many users who can explore the world simultaneously and independently through the use of avatars. The virtual world transfers cognitive data to users including real-time actions and other users' communications along with their movements and gravity or possibly all other relevant information.
• Multiplayer online games use the virtual world to allow players to do things like build and change the world and travel between spaces around the universe. Those behind the metaverse believe that the virtual world can have applications outside of gaming including entertainment, education and medical care. The virtual world is sometimes called the synthetic world.
2.2 Virtual reality
• Virtual reality (VR) is a simulated experience often provided by virtual reality experiences such as Oculus that will bring realistic images, sounds, and feelings to users in the virtual world. Virtual reality is currently used for video games but can also be used for virtual meetings, medical training or military training. A person who is using a virtual reality device can do things like look around a virtual world, move and interact with other objects and users.
2.3 Mixed Reality
• Mixed Reality (MR) is an integration of the real and virtual world to create new ways to interact between physical, digital and users. In mixed reality, you are not only in the virtual world or entirely in the real world but between the real and virtual environments.
• Examples of mixed reality are specific simulations of real locations in 3D and transmitted directly to virtual reality simulators during university lectures, idea presentation meetings, or another example such as augmented reality use in Pokemon Go, where users can see Pokemon through their phones where they can be found in the real world. Mixed reality has applications for video games, education, military training, healthcare and integrating humans and robots.
Mixed reality in workspace
• Nowadays, building modern architecture is increasingly difficult because of the high level of science and technology, the traditional working steps have not been able to meet all the actual requirements set. Therefore, the strong support of virtual reality applications in: Meeting to plan, exchange ideas (concepts), present architectural space to customers, training - guidance - simulation of construction ... All of these activities are in desperate need of visual simulation support so that the design and construction work is highly unified. Accordingly, Mixed Reality technology has continued to enter the field of architecture - construction and is showing strong and attractive potential - creating new display interfaces effective and vivid for architectural and construction.
2.4 Augmented Reality
• Augmented reality (AR) is similar to mixed reality in that it creates an interactive way to experience the real world environment. Augmented reality often enhances the real world through digital sensory additions such as images, sounds, sensory data, or olfactory data. The feature of augmented reality allows for the integration of the real and virtual world, real-time interaction and 3D visualization of both virtual and real objects. An example of how it can be used is to allow shoppers to visualize a product they are considering in an environment like their home.
Augmented reality enhances the experience in interior design
3. Metaverse capabilities
Meta: The technology company formerly known as Facebook has invested in virtual reality, including the acquisition of Oculus in 2014. Meta envisions a virtual world where digital avatars connect through work, travel or entertainment using VR glasses. Zuckerberg has been optimistic about the metaverse, believing it could replace the Internet as we know it. "The next platform will be even more immersive and more visible to the Internet, where you really experience it, not just look at it as before, and we call it metaverse."
Microsoft: The software company already uses holomorphs and is developing mixed reality applications and expanding the Microsoft Mesh platform, combining the real world with augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR). Microsoft has presented plans to bring mixed reality (MR) including holomorphs and virtual avatars to Microsoft Teams by 2022. Also in the works for next year: 3D virtual connectivity space can be deployed for retail and the workplace. The U.S. Military is currently working with Microsoft on an augmented reality Hololens 2 headset for soldiers for training, maneuvering and combat. Xbox Live has also connected millions of video game players around the globe.
Epic Game: Tim Sweeney, CEO of game developer Fortnite, said, "It's no secret that Epic was invested in building metaverse." Fortnite hosts Ariana Grande and Travis Scott concerts, movie trailers and music premieres and even a historical re-enactment through Martin Luther King Jr.'s historic "I Have A Dream" speech, and Fortnite is developing photorealistic digital people with MetaHuman Creator, Creator, that could be how you customize your digital clone in future open world games.
NFL costume collection in Fortnite
• Real equipment in a virtual world: Fortnite collaborates with Balenciaga on the design of costume and avatar development for players.
• Costumes designed from reality: NFL National Football League to Air Jordan and Ariana Grande,...
Roblox: Founded in 2004, contains a variety of user-generated games, including immersive services like Bloxburg and Brookhaven, where users can build homes, work, and role-play into different scenarios. Roblox is now valued at more than $45 billion after going public. On the day of the March IPO, Roblox founder and CEO David Baszucki tweeted a thank you to everyone who helped bring the platform "one step closer to fulfilling our vision of #metaverse." Since then, Roblox has partnered with skateboarding company Vans to create Vans World, a virtual skate park where players can wear new Vans and open a limited 'Gucci Garden' where you can try on buying clothes and accessories for your virtual self.
Roblox with Metaverse vision
Minecraft: Another virtual universe loved by both adults and children, Minecraft is basically like lego's digital world, where players can create their own digital characters and build whatever they want. As of August, Minecraft boasts more than 140 million monthly active users.
Microsoft deploys Metaverse to Minecraft
Metaverse really brings many potentials in developing and expanding connectivity on the Internet. Although it is in the development and testing stage, metaverse's first steps have marked a development of the technology and the practicality of blockchain.